The Fleet in Milford Haven, c1892-9

This photograph, of unknown provenance, shows the fleet in Milford Haven, probably for the naval manoeuvres of 1892-3 or thereabouts. The dating is derived principally from the presence of the ship in the foreground, the old ironclad HMS Bellerophon, which served as the port guardship during those years, and from the designs of some of the ships in the background. The battleships lie in ‘Man of War Roads’ off the town of Milford, the torpedo boat flotillas closer to Newton Noyes. Milford Haven was regularly used during the elaborate war games that the navy carried out each summer during the second half of the nineteenth century.

Advertisements

One thought on “The Fleet in Milford Haven, c1892-9

  1. Pingback: Naval Exercise in Milford Haven | Britannia's Dragon - Welsh Naval History

Comments are closed.